Search for Museums

CLOSE SEARCH

Historic Buildings Collection – Nýibær at Hólar in Hjaltadalur

The bishopric at Hólar was founded in 1106 to serve the northern part of Iceland. After 1801 Hólar ceased to be a bishopric but remained a parsonage. In the year 1824 Benedikt Vigfússon, a prominent and progressive man of means, bought the farm. It was Benedikt who built Nýibær in 1860, a stone´s throw from the old bishop´s residence.

Nýibær is an example of a medium-size turf house of the North-Icelandic type. This type of turf house emerged in the 19th century and is distinguished by the forward-facing gables of all the front buildings, but with all rear buildings arranged at right-angles. Nýibær has been in the National Museum´s care since 1956 and has been extensively renovated by the museum.

Hours of Operation & Admission

Hours of Operation:
Admission:

Contact Museum

Address: Hólar í Hjaltadal, 551 Sauðárkrókur
Primary Phone: 530-2200
Secondary Phone:
Email: thjodminjasafn@thjodminjasafn.is
Website: http://www.thjodminjasafn.is/english/for-visitors/historic-buildings-collection/nr/3434

Museum Features

No features currently available.

Nearby Museums

Sögusetur íslenska hestsins

Sögu­setur ís­lenska hestsins á Hólum í Hjalta­dal er stað­sett í gamla hest­húsinu á Hólum

More Info

Bókasafn Dalvíkurbyggðar

Bóka­safn Dal­víkur­byggðar hýsir upp­lýsinga­mið­stöð sveitar­félagsins og er stað­sett í menningar­húsinu Bergi

More Info

Síldarminjasafn Íslands

Síld­ar­minja­safn­ið er eitt af stærstu söfn­um lands­ins. Í þrem­ur hús­um kynn­umst við síld­veið­um og vinnslu á silfri hafs­ins

More Info